Thursday, August 19, 2010

Toronto to Sudbury, Ontario (August 19, 2010)














Day Twenty Seven - 253 mi

I was sad to say goodbye to my cousins, and I took a picture of them all waving as I left. I felt kind of rejuvenated though, and better able to face the remainder of the journey.

Today was a "quick jaunt" up around Georgian Bay and Lake Huron, to Sudbury. I had kind of made a "decision" the night before, then decided I wasn't sure again. Part of me is eager to get back West, yet another part of me knows it will all be over soon enough, and who know when (or if) I'll eve do it again.

I decided then, to stick with my loose "plan," and see all of the Great Lakes.

It wasn't a particularly interesting ride up, scenery-wise. There was a lot of traffic around Toronto, but once I got onto the 69 North, things had pretty much cleared.

I passed a strange kind of abandoned "ghost town" along the way. I stopped a took a few pictures. You are in Georgian Bay country here, but the highway is actually a mile or few inland from Lake Huron, so it wasn't as scenic as it looked on the map. As I got further north, I passed a few small lakes, and there were a couple of lovely fishing villages - which I'm afraid I didn't capture.

I passed the "Killarney Lakes" area, and took the obligatory photos. Killarney is a well known lakes region in County Kerry in Ireland, and the first European settlers here must have hailed from that region.

I had wanted to camp in Killarney Provincial Park, but had not been able to get a booking. It was a lovely evening, and as I drove past the turn-off, I was a little disappointed.

I had instead booked myself into the cheapest motel I saw in Sudbury. Whe I got near it, I was thinking, "Oh my God...is that it!?"

It turned out to be...not the Four Seasons...far from it...but not a bad place either. There was a bar/restaurant - very "local" - annexed to the place. Breakfast was complimentary, and would be served in the "bar" in the morning. I went in tonight and had the "Meat Loaf Special." It was actually pretty good, and the folks were friendly.

Back into the good ol' US of A tomorrow. I'll cross into Michigan at the Soo Locks. And I'll be staying with my friend Jessie's parents. Exciting!

Onwards!


1 comment: