Thursday, August 5, 2010

Richmond, VA, to New York City, via Washington DC (August 4th, 2010)













Day Twelve - 351 miles

Today was the first day since Nevada that I did not hit rain. Yay! Rain was in the forecast, but as I left Richmond, Mat said, "Ah...I think you might be alright with the rain today, dude...I think that might be it." I have to say I doubted him, but it was very welcome not to have to put on the rain gear at any point.

I stopped off at Monument Avenue before I left town (see earlier post). The weather today was probably the hottest so far. It was over 100F in a few places, with maximum humidity. Really oppressive. As long as I was moving, it wasn't too bad.

I went slightly out of the way to re-visit and say goodbye to US-50, as well as drop in to the President of the United States. He clearly wasn't expecting me...or perhaps he was, because as soon as I neared the White House, Marine One thundered off from the South Lawn of the White House. I guess the word was out: McNally's coming, Mr. President. Time to leave Dodge!

I parked my bike in a construction zone, by a fellow who was on strike and blowing a whistle. He said it would be okay for a few minutes. I went across the road to take a few pictures and video (see following post). When I got back, some guy who looked like he was "in charge" was yelling and screaming about my bike. When he saw me, he nearly fainted. I think he was having difficulty comprehending that I had parked my bike where it was. "Do you know where you are?" "Yes, I do, sir. I'm a citizen of this country and I drove that bike from California. I was hoping to see the President." He seemed to lighten up a bit at that, then sort of scolded me a bit more, and warned about fines and towing. "I might as well just throw that license plate in the garbage can there!" There were a few fellows standing around chuckling. After that, I decided I'd best not push my luck.

A drove along US-50 through the Capitol. Hard to believe it was the same road I had traveled through Sacramento, Lake Tahoe, and all those towns in the Rockies, and dusty little hamlets across the Great Plains. I was nearly at the end of the line, but unfortunately, I would not be traveling the last 140 miles to Ocean City, Maryland. The "detour," and it would have been a significant one, would have taken me well out of my way. I had a (not inexpensive) room booked in a hotel in New York City for that night, and I couldn't afford the EXTRA 5 hours (at least) drive it would entail (as well as a ferry ride). I already had four or five more hours to go. I felt like I was cheating a little, but such is the way things go. 2,913 miles would have to do (instead of 3,053).

I continued on up I-95. Under the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. Over the Delaware Bridge. At this stage I broke out my "toll bag." I had a special ZipLock bag full of change. I had been warned about tolls in the east coast, and by gosh do they mount up! $5 here, $6 there. Another $5 x 2 on the New Jersey Turnpike (at least). Another $9.05c later on on the NJT, and then finally $8 to cross the George Washington Bridge into New York City. I was in the Big Apple!

Onwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment